Atlantic Canada Genealogy Project

Discovering our North American Ancestors and Worldwide Cousins

Port Elgin, Westmorland, New Brunswick, Canada



 


Notes: Located on Baie Verte, 3.93 km NNE of Baie Verte: Westmorland Parish, Westmorland County: first called Gaspereaux: renamed for James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin (1811-1867) and governor-general of Canada from 1846-1854: PO Port Elgin from 1854: in 1866 Port Elgin was a farming, lumbering and manufacturing community with 40 resident families: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 Port Elgin was a station on the New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island Railway and had 1 post office, 6 stores, 2 hotels, 1 carriage factory, 1 woollen factory, 1 woodworking factory, 1 sawmill, 2 grist mills, 3 churches and a population of over 1,000: Port Elgin was incorporated as a village in 1922.
OpenStreetMap

City/Town : Latitude: 46.0496462, Longitude: -64.08782059999999

No results found.